Ottawa, Ontario — Tuesday August 18, 2020
With the new school year only a few weeks away the CHEO Research Institute is presenting their findings for what schools can be like for Trans Youth and their families. Our Senior Scientist Margaret Lawson was on CBC radio’s “All in a Day” where she spoke about the study. If you would like to review the full webinar you can watch it here.
Trans Youth CAN! is a pan-Canadian cohort study to understand the physical, mental and social health of youth who have been referred to specialists for endocrine treatment related to gender identity and expression issues, as well as the well-being of their parents/caregivers and families. Some results include:
- 40% of parents had to get involved in the school regarding gender issues.
- 19% of youth reported that they did not feel safe at school.
- 63% of youth were avoiding school change rooms and/or school washrooms.
- 28% considered changing schools
- 14% of youth had to change schools because others had an issue with their gender
The study team is releasing early results to Trans youth, their families and the community on Tuesday, August 25th, at 6:00 pm EST via Zoom. There will be back to back bilingual sessions and the results will be available on the website in English and French (www.transyouthcan.ca)Registration for the online event can be found here.