With the new school year, only a few weeks away the CHEO Research Institute is presenting their findings for what schools can be like for Trans Youth and their families. Trans Youth CAN! is a pan-Canadian cohort study to understand the physical, mental and social health of youth who have been referred to specialists for endocrine treatment related to gender identity and expression issues, as well as the well-being of their parents/caregivers and families. Some results include:
- 40% of parents had to get involved in the school regarding gender issues.
- 19% of youth reported that they did not feel safe at school.
- 63% of youth were avoiding school change rooms and/or school washrooms.
- 28% considered changing schools
- 14% of youth had to change schools because others had an issue with their gender