Hosted by the CHEO Research Institute’s Innovation Core
Thank you to everyone who joined us for the inaugural National Health-Tech Innovation Conference. Participants will receive a link to the digital toolkit via email in the coming weeks.
Please complete the National Health-Tech Innovation Conference evaluation form.
Conference participant information and resources
View and download the National Health-Tech Innovation Conference Program here.
Scroll down for a web version of the program.
About the Conference
Conference participants will discover new ways to innovate and bring health-technology into pediatric and all healthcare environments.
Together, with a national community of innovators, industry leaders, health-tech startups, investors and government officials, the conference will facilitate the exchange of knowledge and best practices to advance Canadian health innovation of products and technology.
- When: December 1, 2023
- Where: Bayview Yards – Ottawa’s Innovation Centre
Conference is sold out. Registration is closed.
The National Health-Tech Innovation Conference will bring people together to:
- Develop a community for health innovation and entrepreneurship at the local, national and international levels to promote, exchange and share best practices and experiences.
- Provide opportunities to connect, exchange ideas, and build relationships that can lead to innovative healthcare solutions.
- Highlight Canadian innovations that have the potential to transform healthcare delivery, improve patient care, and reduce healthcare costs.
- Inspire attendees by featuring success stories and real-world examples of how health innovations are making a difference in the Canadian healthcare system.
- Providing a platform for educational sessions, workshops, and seminars that empower healthcare professionals and stakeholders with the knowledge and skills needed to navigate the complex health innovation landscape.
The conference will be an interactive day featuring:
- Engaging panel discussions on topics ranging from solving the innovation language breakdown to reclaiming profit in the healthcare lexicon.
- Workshops led by hospital, research and technology leaders focusing on fostering internal innovation and effective collaboration within healthcare environments.
- A keynote address from international leader Iain Hennessey, co-founder of Alder Hey Innovation Centre.
- Valuable networking opportunities with local, regional, and national innovators, healthcare leaders, investors and local start-ups.
- Refreshments, lunch and a reception to end the day.
10:00 – 10:50 a.m.
Mistakes, Misunderstandings & Mistrust: Solving the Innovation Language Breakdown
Understand real-world experience that sheds light on some of the challenges encountered, communication breakdowns, mistakes, and misunderstandings that can cause mistrust between Healthcare, Business, and R+D.
Moderated by: Mitch Robinson
11:00 – 11:50 a.m.
“Profit” in the Healthcare Lexicon
Discover how the pursuit of healthcare innovation often necessitates the tools of business, leading to a unique set of challenges as well as opportunities
Moderated by: Stephen Ryan
1:00 – 1:50 p.m.
Bringing innovation to life in healthcare
Join this panel of experienced innovators as we delve into the challenges and secrets to success of bringing innovation to life when dealing with interactions between large, bureaucratic organizations and small, nimble innovators.
Moderated by: David Helliwell
1:50 – 2:00 p.m.
Developing the Innovation Mindset
This workshop will outline the holistic approach that covers the entire medtech lifecycle, from strategic advisory to design and development, as well as preclinical testing and bioskills training.
2:50 – 3:30 p.m.
Innovation and Effective Collaboration with Hospitals and Governments
Discover innovative approaches to healthcare system improvement in this workshop. Explore collaborative solutions that address emerging healthcare needs, reduce bottlenecks, and harness new technologies.
3:30 – 4:15 p.m.
Tales from the trenches: Innovation success and failures
Hear real life experiences and key learnings that helped foster, and grow the internationally renowned program, Alder Hey Innovation.
Provided by Iain Hennessey.
Special thank you to Invest Ottawa for their support and sponsorship of this event.
Learn more about our innovation program here.