My CHEO Story
Our family has been fortunate to have numerous, but brief, interactions with CHEO. We have been through many different departments, all with the same level of ease and comfort. When my oldest was just 2, after enduring months of pain and blood tests, she was sent to CHEO for an endoscopy/biopsy to test for Celiac. Fortunately, the results were negative, but what a roller coaster for our family! Everyone at CHEO offered us care and support at every step. Years later, when my youngest was admitted for day surgery (removal and biopsy of tonsils and adenoids), we had exactly the same experience; we are all treated like family at CHEO.
I completed a Masterclass on the Conduct and Use of Patient-Oriented Research with McMaster University. I look forward to incorporating my learning from this course in my future work with the CHEO Research Institute.
Why I'm involved
As a university science graduate, I am fascinated by all forms of research. I am excited by the progress being made and impressed by CHEO RI’s goal of incorporating families into their projects. I am honoured to have the chance to contribute. I have seen the impact of disease and treatment on family members, friends, and children of friends, in a variety of conditions.
- Reviewer – Respirology RGA 2021
- Provided feedback on the Patient Oriented Child Health Curriculum training content
- Research Project Reviewer: Building Resilience and Attachment in Vulnerable Adolescents Research Project
- Research Project Advisor: Building Resilience and Attachment in Vulnerable Adolescents Research Team
- Attended McMaster Patient Engagement training for Fall 2019 Session
- Provided Feedback on Patient Oriented Child Health Curriculum-Usability Testing
- Research Project Advisor: Mental Health
- Research Project Reviewer: Validation of Home HbA1c Monitoring Using Dried Blood Spots in Patients with Diabetes
- Reviewer: Fall Research Growth Awards- 2021
- Reviewer: QITI Awards- 2021
- Advisor: Dr. Zuijdwijk – Endocrin NSRCH Project
- Permission to Contact Advisor
- QITI Working Group Member
- Advisor for Family Leader Survey Tools